Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Becoming a Dungeons and Dragons Dungeon Master: Also known as the final pit into being a nerd. No turning back now

So It has finally happened. My obsession/passion for D&D has led me down the darkest deepest path it could. I have sacrificed my sanity and security and taken up the cloak of the ages, I have accepted my role and position within nerds... wait this is making me sound far too formal.

A few months ago Wizards of the Coast finally published their newest format of D&D. D&D Next. I had been quite unpleased with D&D 4th edition. 4th felt too... simplified... while at the same time too complicated. It was swimming with rules for kiting and ways to torment players who were not min maxers with tactics that really should not matter. It dumbed down on the loved classes into pretty much the same thing. Ya had your dailys, your at wills and your ect ects. It was boring. It was terrible, and through many attempts only my fav DM ever made it even slightly good and that was only because he is a Master at his craft(even if he is incredibly anxious all the time and that anxiousness rubbed off a bit on me about D&D). I liked 3.5, but as a player alone it was daunting to play with its dozen of released books. I could not even BEGIN to imagine DMing such a lofty world. Pathfinder seems to be the worlds favorite alternative... but despite many attempts to get into Pathfinder, it too felt like lots of rules and little fun and too much for me to get involved in. (oh God, you are probably thinking this is a novel, and right now it is about to get there. Apparently I have lots to ramble on the subject and not enough venues to ramble it at). So 5th came out recently... and I picked up my PH1 and I liked it, I playtested the final Product with said favorite DM AND at Pax Prime 2014. My love did not decrease. I then attended a D&D encounters night at my local game store and I realized something while I attended. I could DO THIS. I could DM. I had all these ideas in my head that needed to escape.

So I asked my friend that I am in a pathfinder game with if they would attend my D&D game... I was suprised that they were super supportive. Even understanding that I was a new DM and there would be fuck ups. So it happened. I grabbed a copy of 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen' off of Amazon and started a weekly game.

Diving feet first into a world of madness. I did not pick tame players, I did the opposite. I picked the one player i have EVER seen make my fav DM stumble. I took him into my game cause he was a friend I considered close and a compatriot in the war of my workplace. I had a clue what I was into, and unlike the failed time i attempted to playtest Next... I was at sorta peace with the idea. I didn't invite the player I KNEW liked tactics, I did not invite my coworker who loves D&D but constantly belittles me. I invited the people cheering me on and took on them as my first real party. This was MY D&D group and I was going to make it work.

So my players ended up as the following.

A human sorcerer outlander who is the soul of a dragon but does not KNOW he is a dragon in a human body. This is my insane player, and he is playing an insane character. It is fitting. Apparently this character is a character he has been testing poor DMs with for years. Nikki J. The player is an ex coworker of mine and I feel we connect in some insane way. I am in his pathfinder game currently.

The next is a... I can't tell you his race Rouge Scholar (how do I not know his race... maybe because he does not mention it... wait... I think he is elf something or other... but seriously how do I not know it) played by the crazy players close friend whom I met at a gaming con the week before I joined my Pathfinder game, it was a magical coincidence... His character is sassy... just like him.

My life partner is playing a dwarf barbarian noble. Not much to say about him, my partners playstyle is to remain silent unless he feels there is a hole in the other players tactics, then he steps in. With the above two playing... there is not much of a hole for him to fill...so normally he just bounces around the house eating food or harassing cats or just watching the madness.

My final player is one of my coworkers who happens to be my boss. She is playing a wood elf Druid outlander. She is pretty much the soul of the group, letting the players know when their actions will hurt animals and healing the dumb ass Sorcerer when he gets himself knocked to zero hp... AGAIN.

I will add more details in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment